Sunday, April 10, 2011

Heart’s Delight: Peking Pork Dumplings

I don’t know the actual, literal translation for dim sum, but colloquially it translates to “heart’s delight.” I see how it got that name…all those little shrimp and pork dumplings are certainly delightful and make my heart do a happy dance. Especially after they saved the day…the day of the great shrimp tragedy.


These pulled pork dumplings are inspired by Peking duck—flavored with hoisin sauce, green onions, and sesame seeds, and served with a tangy vinegar sauce that balances out the sweet filling. I had hoped to make crispy duck dumplings, but unbeknownst to me, it’s not easy to find fresh, non-frozen duck (except maybe in the I.D.). John had a good “I told you so” over that one.


So, instead of duck, I went with pork—a good duck standby, texturally, and always a winner when it comes to dumplings. Unlike most dumplings I used shredded pulled pork, instead of ground. I simply marinated the pork in soy sauce and garlic and roasted it until fork-tender and easy to shred. The meat itself is not much of a 'recipe' so I'll let you use your favorite roasted, shredded/pulled pork, or even leftover pork!


Peking Pork Dumplings
Makes 25..ish

1.5 pounds cooked pork-shredded
3 green onions-thinly sliced (reserve a pinch for the sauce)
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
splash soy sauce
splash sesame oil
white sesame seeds
25 won ton wrappers
equal parts soy sauce and red wine vinegar

Mix together pork, onions, hoisin, soy, a sprinkle of sesame seeds, and sesame oil. Mixture should be evenly coated and a little saucy. Taste, and adjust if necessary.

Place a small spoonful of filling in center of wonton wrapper, and bring edges up to make a purse--twist and seal with water.

Boil (or steam) 4-5 dumplings at a time, until wonton wrapper is tender.

For dipping sauce, mix together equal parts soy sauce and red wine vinegar, and add a sprinkle of sesame seeds and sliced green onion. Serve dumplings with dipping sauce and hot chili oil (if you like it spicy).
SHARE:
© Loves Food, Loves to Eat. All rights reserved.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig